Saturday, June 26, 2010

On the road again...

After more cross-country trips than we can count, Cody and I have become quite fond of the memories made while on the road.  When you spend 30+ hours on what seems to be a never-ending road, you get super excited about the littlest things.  Here are a few things we got excited about while traveling from Indy to Seattle, then down to Utah and up to Wyoming:
  • Speed limit increasing to 75 mph
  • World’s largest truck stop
  • Peach rings to go with your peach flavored water!
  • 2-digit mile markers (state line is approaching!)
  • State welcome signs (We have hit 11 states so far on this trip: Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming)

  • Finally a different interstate than I-80 (i.e. I-90... seriously so beautiful!)
  • Large statues of cattle, dinosaurs, and green men
  • Gas mileage over 25 mpg with about 250 lbs. of luggage and STUFF!
  • Car naps over one hour
  • Lakes, rivers, and bridges!
  • Internet hot-spots on the road. 
  • Places like Wall Drug!  We came across this super fun family rest stop.  Jaden was getting restless and we were just a half-hour away from our hotel, but we couldn't resist checking this baby out!  We spent two hours learning about it's history and just livin' it up!:)
That's what it said, so that's what we did.


  • “Scenic overlook” exits
  • Stinkin’ cool cars
  • Detours- bah 
  • Bug guts splattered everywhere!
  • Birds darting in front of our car to impress their lady friends.  For reals, do they just sit on the side of the road and wait until the very last second to cross the road? 
  • National Attractions (i.e. Snoqualmie National Forest, Mt. Rainier National Park)
  • Finally arriving at Grandma's house!!!:)

8 comments:

Mom Moon said...

I'm so glad you have taken so many pics to document your travels. Looks like much fun.

Scott and Jamie said...

Wow... this will be the longest and most extensive trip I'm sure you'll ever take by car again! Glad to hear you're upbeat about all of it. I'd be much less I'm sure. When do you get back? We are missing you at all the summer BBQ's and pool parties!

Brittany said...

Man there is some crazy stuff out West.....was impressed by the bug splatter on the roof luggage too. Looks like its been a great trip! P.S. Lots of storms here the past couple of weeks but Chucks says your house is still standing and in great condition!

Mom Moon said...

I like the new pictures you have on the top of the blog. Very sweet.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! That's a long trip! I'm glad to hear Jaden was so good. So I'm sad we probably won't be stopping in Indy on our way out to Virginia. Bryson's flying out with grandma a few days after we leave so we are doing a straight shot. I'm sure we'll meet up again soon.

Green River High School said...

You guys are so brave! Maybe we just have major ADD but I think we would go nuts (literally) driving cross country. ha ha! But in all seriousness, looks like an awesome trip. Glad it all went well and that you're safe!

Christine said...

Oh, we LOVE this! You two sure know how to make anything. . . a party. I've driven that road a thousand time (ok, maybe not that many), but you showed me how to make 'memories'. Love it. Thanks for being present --living in the moment. Inspirational!

Moon family said...

What troopers! Jaden is so laid back, and he's looking like such a little man. I have pics I need to send you from our day of play!