Friday, February 7, 2014

c * h * i * c * a * g * o

It's been a few weeks since we returned home from our weekend get-away in Chicago, but we are still talking about what an amazing time we had.  It seriously was just the perfect way to kick-back, relax, and reboot ourselves in the dead of winter.

Cody is simply awesome and planned the entire weekend on his own.  I was 100% completely shocked and surprised about the entire thing!  I woke up early Friday morning to some chatter in the kitchen.  I assumed Cody was finishing up his Seminary lesson, so I laid there for a few minutes.  I realize Jaden is sleeping in our room and found it strange, but figured he just let himself in sometime in the night.  After a bit, I text Cody to remind him of the time and that he needed to get himself to work (such a lovely wife I am, I know;)  He texts back something about he needed me in the kitchen.  So Jaden and I pull ourselves from our warm covers and head on out.  

The first thing I notice out of the ordinary... our pack-n-play is set up in Jaden's room/guest room.  Then I see my sweet little nephew, Max, toddling around.  What?!?!  Then I turn into the kitchen to find Casey and Kimber sitting at our kitchen table!  My head was saying things like... "Um... hello!  Wow!!!  What the heck is going on?!?  Someone do explain.  Uhh... so good to see you guys, but to what do we owe the occasion!?!"  Seriously, I was utterly shocked to the core.  I couldn't figure out what would bring them all this way in the middle of the night... (well super early morning, it was still dark out), in the cold and dreary snow, when Casey had school.  Not sure if that all when through my mind in that very moment, but I really was so confused, surprised, and excited to see them all at the same time!

Well in one way or another, I learned Casey and Kimber had driven through the night, taken a day off school, and were there to stay for the weekend!  YAY!!!  Oh, and I had the morning to pack my bags for some unknown get-away for just Cody and me:)  So we ate a delicious french toast breakfast prepared by Cody, packed, and were off!  The kiddos were left at home to have a blast of a weekend with their super cool aunt and uncle:)


Somewhere in the jumble of it all, Cody explained he wanted to celebrate our 7-year anniversary a bit early.  I will be extremely pregnant come May, so he wanted to experience Chicago when I was more mobile and feeling great... how thoughtful;)

Well I figured out along the way we were headed just a few hours north to downtown Chicago!  We had passed through a few times before, but never stopped to actually SEE the city.  I was stoked (and still in shock... how on earth did he keep this whole thing a complete secret for months?!?)  We arrived, settled into our hotel, and then walked a couple blocks over to Giordano's.  Best Chicago stuffed pizza ever!!!



 p.s.  First thing we noticed about Chicago.  It's freezing!!!  Our January visit brought a whole new meaning to "The Windy City."
p.p.s.  Everyone wears dark colors in this city, pretty much black was the color of choice this time of year.  I brought along a red coat and didn't wear it the entire time and Cody totally stood out when he showed up in his yellow ski coat.  We stuck out anyway being this pregnant couple amongst a bunch of young singles partying it up all night on the roof of our hotel, so we tried to keep it cool with our black get-up:) 

We caught a movie that night after dinner.  I was tired; I only made it through the previews, but Cody liked it!  By the way, everything in the city is built UP.  So the movie theater was on top of another store, and we had to climb several escalators to get to our actual theater.

Well the next morning we slept in!!!  Halleluiah!!!  BEST part about the weekend: sleeping in with no interruptions.  Granted, I still have a built-in mom-clock, so would toss and turn during my normal waking hours, but could peacefully relax back into sleep.  Seriously. So. Joyous.

Needless to say, I felt well-rested and happy :)

We ate breakfast at a darling french cafe across the street from our hotel.


Spent the afternoon shopping :)

a little frozen yogurt for our frozen bodies

Then made it back to our hotel just in time for a surprise pedicure at the spa:)
 Date night!  I had no clue what Cody had in store for the evening.
 

We walked a few blocks to the John Hancock Center.
I felt my ears pops several times as we climbed the elevator to the 95th floor to The Signature Room.
I had never heard of the place nor seen such an amazing view.  You could practically see the entire city and Lake Michigan stretched farther than the eye can see.  It was stunning, and so fun to experience it all.


We had a perfect view of Navy Pier.  During the warmer months, there is a firework show every Saturday off the pier over Lake Michigan.  People love to eat at the Signature Room to see the show and/or propose.  We actually were there to see a proposal just two tables away from us:)

We took a taxi cab to Cadillac Palace for one last surprise.  This man knows I love a good musical, and The Phantom of the Opera is one I hadn't seen on Broadway yet.  It was AMAZING and so well done!


When we got back to the hotel, we tried to play it cool and check out the roof party going on.  It was pretty impressive: ice sculptures, bonfires, music.  I think it was kinda obvious we didn't belong though... it felt like we were parting the red sea everywhere we turned:)

We enjoyed one last breakfast at the cafe before heading home.

The presentation was always impressive:)

Had to see the Bean before leaving Chicago!

We came home to happy, healthy children and a rock star of a momma, Kimber.  She was a champ all weekend taking care of our kiddos, plus her own, plus an injured Casey who broke his foot in two places while playing church ball.  For reals!  We are so grateful to them for helping make it all possible.  We love them dearly!

Thanks for one of the best weekends ever, babe!  Happy (early) anniversary!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to go to the Signature room for years!!! So lucky! Yes Chicago in January is the worst time. Especially this year!

She Loves The Color Pink said...

This sounds like the best weekend EVER! What a sweet and thoughtful husband.

Brittany said...

All that food looks glorious, and you guys totally rocked the black. Oh, and that view from the skyscraper restaurant was like out of a movie! Happy Anniversary

Mom Moon said...

First of all, Cody is the best! Is there such a thing as an 8 cow husband? Secondly, when I tell my stories of how cold it really was growing up perhaps you'll believe me. The wind would go straight to the bones, especially in Chicago where is was really windy off of Lake Michigan. I danced and ate at the top of the John Hancock building for a date night once. Sorry, I never mentioned it. Love the pictures. Lastly, three cheers for Kimber and Casey! Loves to all:)

audrey said...

Oh my gosh, HOW amazing (and sneaky) is Cody for putting that all together!! What a keeper! Glad you had such a great time! What a perfect trip!!

Jessica Leigh said...

So glad my best friend married such a great guy... Love you all!